Thursday, July 31, 2008

"Um, No"

Ben's vocabulary has been growing by leaps and bounds, mostly due to his penchant for repeating just about everything that comes out of Claire's mouth. Typically, however, whatever he says is, at least, done so at about 2 decibels louder than the average person.

Anyway, he is not only picking up words, he is also picking up phrases that he must hear often. Last week's phrase was, "oh, okay." It actually came out more like, "oh, otay." Brought back memories of Spanky and The Little Rascals. I wish that I had been able to get it on tape. It was really quite hilarious to hear him say it and use it correctly. He would be crying his eyes out because he had to go inside, and I would say, "but Buddy, it's time for bed," and he, without stopping the wailing and tears, would say, "oh, otay," and turn around and walk in the house!

Well, his new phrase is "um, no." This is sometimes, but not often enough, varied with "um, yes," but the "no" version tends to dominate. I remember Claire saying this at the same age, and I'm pretty sure they get it from me. When they ask to do something or have something that I don't want them to, "Um (pretending to think about it, but not really), no" tends to be my most used answer.

Well here's Ben putting that phrase to use.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Very cute! Ive got exciting news...
I've started a blog. I;m still working on getting it to look the way I want. Maybe you could give me some pointers. Love the videos! I love to hear them talk. So CUTE!!!

The Stums said...

Hilarious! He is super cute, N, and yes, sounds just like his mama.