Thursday, June 10, 2010

Field Day (otherwise known as "exhaustion 101")

This Monday marked the first day of Claire's final week as a Kindergartner. And what better way to celebrate the occasion than . . . FIELD DAY!! (Actually, I can think of several ways to celebrate this occasion that would have been much less exhausting and far more celebratory, but I'm guessing a warm bath and a good book wouldn't have really "flown" with the kiddies.)


I remember looking forward to field day all year when I was in grade school. It was the highlight of the year for my competitive self. In fact, I can tell you that the very first year I participated in a field day was in the 4th grade. I was on the white team - which, as everyone knows, is bad news because the white team NEVER wins the competitions. Victory is ALWAYS reserved for the blue team who is every so often kicked out of first place by the red team. I mean, when you think of victory, do YOU think of white? Nope, me neither. The white team, as was the case that year, won 3rd.

So, I was actually looking forward to Claire's field day, ready to cheer her team on to victory. I was looking forward to it, that is, until I realized that standing for 2 hours in the blazing heat in the middle of a soccer field while trying to entertain a very bored, hot, and tired 3-year-old while attempting to snap memorable pictures of my daughter rates right up there with teeth drilling and bathtub scrubbing.


Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but I was absolutely exhausted by the end of the morning.

So, I think it only fair to exhaust you with an excessive amount of pictures.


Hooray for Field Day!!


The day included:


sack racing . . .







lining up for relays . . .





intense concentration . . .






log rolling . . .



hay bale jumping . . .




running . . .




kicking . . .



plunger torch bearing . . .





jump roping . . .






crazy dressing . . .





posing with best buddies . . .




ball chasing . . .





parachuting (with the help of one very excited little brother) . . .





toe fishing (yes, how disgusting is that??!)





big ball rolling . . .






little brother distracting . . .






hula hooping . . .






mom hugging . . .





And finally . . .


Finally . . .


Some relaxation.


I'm pooped all over again just thinking about it.
But, my girl had a blast, and that's all that matters.

No comments: