Sunday, June 13, 2010

I am now the mother of a first grader . . .

And, frankly, I don't care for it one little bit.


But, apparently, Claire couldn't care less about my sentiment because she is bound and determined to keep growing up whether I like it or not - which I don't, just in case you were unclear.


She had a great, great year, great class, great students, and really wonderful teachers.


She was excited to start her summer and was very excited on that final happy day of Kindergarten.



<----First Day







Last Day -------->










That morning - Thursday - her school held the annual Awards Ceremony for students. Claire was grouped in with all the other kindergarteners, first and second graders in the school.

She was recognized for completing her reading homework all year long.


She was also called up and recognized for her work in math that year. The school was involved in a computer-based program this year, and Claire, along with 2 other boys in her class were the ONLY kindergarters in the entire school to receive recognition for their excellence in the program. To say we are proud of her is a sorry understatement. I felt like my heart was going to come flying out of my chest. I was so happy for her.

See her? She just to the left of the teacher and has scary demon-eyes!







She's on the left of the bottom row. The two boys next to her were the other kindergarteners that was rewarded. The kids behind her are first graders and behind them are the second graders.

Claire's class did so well in this program, they were recognized as placing 17th in the ENTIRE state of North Carolina!!

Claire was also awarded an Excellence in Art certificate, along with quite a few of her fellow students.

She's in the second row from the bottom, second from the right.



We are all so proud of her, including her little brother who was tired of me taking pictures of his sister, so he asked me to take one of him.
I obliged and managed to also include capturing me telling him to "shush!"




On her way out of the auditorium.




Back in her classroom.




Her teacher gave her another award for reading over 300 books during the school year.



Showing off her awards.



Her teacher, Mrs. Boles


Teacher's Assistant, Mrs. Matthews.


She's excited to be a first grader, for sure, but apparently I'm not the only one who is sad to see time go by so quickly.

Someone's eyes were just a little wet when she got into the car that afternoon too.

Don't tell her I told you.

No comments: