Saturday, September 27, 2008

Favorite Time of the Year

Fall has always been my favorite time of year. Though I know January first is the true date, I've always considered fall to be the beginning of the new year. This, I'm sure has to do with the start of a new school year that, for so long, ruled my years. New clothes, new shoes, new books, pens, crayons and glue. What could be better? I LOVED shopping for school supplies. There's nothing like a brand new notebook just waiting to be filled. Ok, I'm well aware of the geek factor of the previous sentences. Well, just hand over the pocket protector. I'm sure my school supply obsession had something to do with my desire to teach school as well. Now I have to content myself with buying school supplies for Claire. Not nearly as exciting, but it'll do.

But it's not just the beginning of the school year that explains my love of Fall. I also love the weather - the warm (not freakishly hot and humid) days with clear blue skies followed by cool nights. I love to watch the colors of the leaves, and I love the smells of fall too - leaves burning, candles, pies and bread baking.

We also love all the festivals and fairs that take place in fall. In this area alone, there's the apple festivals, the pumpkin festival, the various county fairs, and the Dixie Classic Fair. Ever on the lookout for free family entertainment, we try to go to several of them, weather permitting, and last weekend, the weather was perfect, glorious really. I know that word "glorious" sounds pretentious, but I can't think of another way to describe it. The sky was perfectly blue, the sun was shining, the breeze was blowing, yet it wasn't too hot - glorious. We attended the Historic Bethabara Apple Festival at the historic Bethabara Moravian settlement. The kids had a great time playing the old timey games, and we enjoyed the atmosphere and the time outside.






No comments: